Tasting butterflies

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Jul 26 14:13:30 EDT 2001

Butterfolk.... Now that is a lot better that lepers, don't you think? Any
way. Before everyone rushes out to chew the fat, I would encourage anyone
who has allergies to be careful. The birds that throw up after ingesting
monarchs do that for a reason - it is more than not tasting good - they are
"toxic".

I have every now and then caught a butterfly (big or small) that I did not
want to kill but just examine. Then just after netting it or just getting
it out of the net saw another that I either wanted to collect or examine
too.  Not having three hands, I have employed my lips to ever so gently
hold the specimen by the hard margin (costal) of its wings while dealing
with the other specimen(s). This year I have been examining a lot of Tiger
Swallowtails in the NC mountains to gather field info on the undescribed
entity there for those who are working on it. On one occasion, almost
immediately after releasing an undescribed from my mouth, I noticed a mild
irritation in my throat. This lasted for several hours. I assumed I had
breathed in a few of its scales.

As a person who has to take some type of antihistamine every time before I
do into the field (or at the end of the day have massive sinus/headache
problems) There was something about or on the wings of this Tiger that my
throat did not like.
Ron

PS  Here is an example of where a common name (Tiger) is the only one
available as the scientific individual epithet has not been given. Ditto
for Cherry Gaul Azure.