Eating Leps

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Fri Jul 27 11:45:17 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I can't imagine why the wings of butterflies are the preferred choice of
human experimental consumption...  Even other insects go for the meatie
bodies, not the wings (!)  The wings are comprised of hairs and
membranes, and I don't know ANY human being that relishes stray mammalian
hairs found in their meals.  It's the body that posesses the major
nutritional components of the insect, not the wings.  Who in their right
mind would want to ingest a "hairy membrane?"  Methinks this bespeaks of
a correlation of butterfly wings with flower petals and "candied violets"
as opposed to their actual imbued composition.

I recently had a child challenge me to eat a chrysalis.  I told him I'd
do it if he could bet me a $100 to do so...  Naturally, he balked.  But
I'm still open to the bet!!!!  I'd be willing to sample anything in the
brassicus or fruit-tree raised butterfly species...but only their bodies,
not their wings.  I've eaten Escargot and sauteed, newly emerged Cicadas
(which tasted like freshly "cut grass" to my discerning palate...), so
I'm open to "unusual culinary experiences."

As for the debate on Latin pronunciation:  I studied classical Latin in
high school, also "just a few years ago..." (tee-hee), and I was taught
the pronunciation for "ae" was a long "i."  However, when I studied
systematics in college, the "ae" was pronounced like a long "e" in every
class I took, regardless of who was teaching it.  Anything ending in an
"eae" was pronounced like TWO long "e's."  Go figure!

Mary Beth Prondzinski
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.