pronunciations

gwang gwang at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 27 18:32:31 EDT 2001

Hi,

hossleew wrote:

> Classical Latin, as I was taught in college by professors who persisted in
> exactness, pronounces all C's hard and sounds the same as our "K". "AE" is
> always pronounced like the letter "I", so to answer your question "ceae"
> sounds like "kay-eye."

Actually, I've been saying the c's hard like that as well.  But i think
the position of the letter matters as well.  For example, in Hyalophora
cecropia, the c is not pronounced like the letter k....although now I'm
not so sure that that's correct anymore.....certainly sounds more
euphonic than the pronounciation 'kakropia'.