more about latin names

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jul 29 11:17:27 EDT 2001

Don't know!
    Maybe he pronounced it Julius and that has just been repeated over the
centuries. Maybe the position of the letter influences the way it is
pronounced. You can look at other languages too, for example there is Mayor
Giuliani in New York. There must have been some historical precedent for
that pronunciation.
    Then there is that butterfly that a friend of mine always calls an
Orange Julius - is it Julia or Iulia. The name in the guide books used to
be *Dryas julia*. The name in the current guide books is now *Dryas iulia*
because that is the way it was spelt in the first description. Personally I
prefer to use Barcant's name (from Trinidad), The Flambeau.
.............Chris Durden