EPA-GMO corn little or no impact on Monarch Butterflies

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Mon Jul 30 23:47:15 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Cherubini" <monarch at saber.net>
To: <Leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: EPA-GMO corn little or no impact on Monarch Butterflies

> Ron Gatrelle wrote:
>
> > Personally, I don't like genetically engineered anything.
> > Ron
>
> Hello Ron,
>
> I was wondering what your opinion is of the Biotech Industry
> argument that the increased yields made possible by GMO crops
> reduces the need to chop down wilderness in order to make room for
> crops?  Do you think this is a valid argument and desirable trade-off?
>
> Also, if geneticist Pat Foley is listening, I would be interested in his
opinion.
> If I am not mistaken, I seem to remember Pat saying that yield
improvements
> via GMO crops could even make it possible (theoretically) to take some
> existing Ag land out of production and restore it to wilderness.
>
> Paul Cherubini

Hi Paul,

Don't like is the operative part of my statement. I am old enough to be
old-fashioned in many ways when it comes to _new_technology. I at least
admit this to myself. I just don't like the idea of _______________.  To be
wise one has to know their weaknesses as well as their strengths - perhaps
even more so. There is old technology I am totally comfortable with - radio
waves passing through my body and brain 24 hrs a day.  Cell phone
"radiation" - I have my guard up.

Everything about genetic Biotech reminds me of the movie The Fly. We have a
long history of TV and movie si-fi telling the average person to watch out
for the mad scientist. I wonder if this is the base for this in many of us
in the US.  Is the fear fact based or culture based. I think I am willing
to be swayed - but I need a lot of reassurance from good impartial
science - and time.  Now, since I have to admit that my aversion to Biotech
is actually fear based (and I thus naturally lean anti it) I do not
appreciate it at all when scare mongers come along and sway me by what they
say is honest info and then later find out they are just agenda or money
orientated and have falsely applied the information or flat out lied.

There are some people who are very much against blood transfusions due to
their fear of getting AIDS. They would die in the hospital before they
would agree to a simple (safe) transfusion which would save their life.
They are already over the edge and they do not need someone to come along
at tie a lead weight to their phobia.  If genetic engineered whatever is
actually good (or will be once the kinks are worked out) I need to be open
to change. I have heard a lot of negative about BtCorn to humans, animals
and of course Monarchs.  If this turns out to be just a bunch of "they sky
is falling crap" it will really tick me off.  Richard's forwarded post
points in that direction. If I come around to accepting - if not
endorsing - BtCorn and other such products it will not be because I sell
pesticide or it is my natural inclination. It will be because it is
actually pretty safe and the benefits will outweigh the risks.  That is my
up front answer to your question.

My best to you
Ron