collections are in the act of ....

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Tue Jul 31 05:04:38 EDT 2001

Harry,

I agree that scanning and electronic documentation of specimens is a
valuable undertaking; that is if we assume that the collection catalogue
has already been data-based (a valuable neologism).

But as you say the permanency of electronic data is in question for
various reasons.

I have large quantities of data on punch cards (but alas, no punch card
reader). I have 8" floppies for my PDP-8 which languishes in my son's
basement.

I have 5 1/4 inch floppies filled with text and data generated on a
CPM-based operating system which we were assured in 1980 would be the
state of the art.

If you bought beta-max you know what I mean.

Yesterday I went to order a new laptop with a very fast CD-rom drive and
was told that was on it's way to be obsolete.

So electronic media really need to be curated as vigorously as the
specimens themselves.

Mike Gochfeld