Bait Traps and lots of Lep's

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sun Jun 3 22:50:19 EDT 2001

I have 14 bait traps out in Scott, Fayette and Franklin counties here in
Kentucky. I am looking for Catocala moths, however, I have noticed a huge
increase in the number of butterflies, especially Vanessa atalanta, Polygonia
comma and Asterocampa celtis. The weather has been unseasonably cool for
early summer, and normally this does not bode well for bait traps. Vanessa
atalanta has become a pain, today I removed 216 individuals from a single
trap. In the same trap were 122 Polygonia comma and 81 Asterocampa celtis.
The most amazing species, just by volume, Pseudaletia unipuncta (Army Worm),
there have been several hundred, if not more, in every trap. When I first
disturb the trap, the startled P. unipuncta go into the escape frenzy and the
scale dust pours from the trap.

On another note, the Kroger Supermarket in Georgetown, Kentucky, has a large
selection of potted plants for the garden in front of the store under the
overhang. Today I saw my first Phoebis sennae of the year on a potted Pentas.
As I approached for a closer look, I saw several Phyciodes tharos on a daisy
and 3 Amphion floridensis flying about the potted plants.

One more time. My wife made a stop at the local nursery/garden shop (An
almost daily event for her) and purchased several Ligustrums that were 24
inches tall and full of blooms. As I was preparing to plant them (She gets
the easy job!) in a garden at the back of the lot, I noticed a Parrhasius
m-album on one of the flowers. Several hours after they were planted and
watered, with net in hand, I went for another look, and there were four more.
I made a dash for the garden shop for a dozen more plants, but the place was
closed.

Tonight just before dark I found numerous moths buzzing about the flowers.

It has been a good year to date. It just needs to warm up a bit. It was only
69 degrees today. I have wondered if the weather was hot, what would be
attracted to the Ligustrum flowers?

Cheers,

Leroy C. Koehn
202 Redding Road