Vanessa

Daniel Glaeske, MD glaeske.md at sk.sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 4 15:53:32 EDT 2001

I live in St. Victor, about 175 km west of you.  I have not definitely
seen virginiensis but V. cardui has been very common here since the
beginning of May.  At one time in our back yard,  I counted about 25
different individuals.  I cannot say whether or not they were all cardui
or virginiensis.  There were a few atalanta as well but in no greater
numbers than usual.

I have seen a few claudia but not a lot.  Generally, I see them
sporadically late June through September.

What I have noticed is a depressingly low number of moths at my lights
and bait at night.  Unfortunately, a number of the ones I have seen are
armyworms (Pseudaletia unipuncta) and wheat head armyworms (Faronta
diffusa), which seem to be more common early on then they are wont to be.

Drop me a line sometime -- maybe we can meet and go out to the Big Muddy
Badlands sometime.

Cheers,

Daniel Glaeske
St. Victor, SK