The expression, "Dead Butterflies"

Sunsol SUNSOL at prodigy.net
Fri Jun 8 08:43:01 EDT 2001

I think there is something to be said for clarity. After all, a drawing of a
pinned butterfly looks different from a drawing of a live butterfly sunning
itself. And a specimen could be a giraff in a zoo or a rock. Since the word
"specimen" doesn't indicate dead or alive, plant, animal or mineral, I think
"dead butterflies" is more accurate than "specimen." When I tell someone
that I will bring specimens, I mean live leps. Sally

<Leptraps at aol.com> wrote in message news:bf.f25ddf0.2850dde8 at aol.com...
> The words "dead butterflies" seems to be another expression of the anti
collecting movement. Jeffrey Glassberg used the term "dead butterflies" in a
recent book review, it has appeared in a number of recent postings on this
and other lists, and, the term "illustration of specimens" has been replaced
by "pictures of dead butterfies" by many watchers and those associated with
NABA.