The Common Name Debate!

Kenn Kaufman kennk at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 8 11:51:47 EDT 2001

Leroy C. Koehn wrote:

>I got a good chuckel yesterday. I belong to a number of lep lists
> and many listers post to several lists and copy to others. One
> of the Butterfly Society's in the south has a serious dilemma.
> They have gone beyond watching butterflies to watching Dragon
> Flies, the problem they face, their are few common names
> Drago Flies and they must either use scientific names or
> creat common names. A common name committee is being
> formed. Oh boy!

-- Actually, there's already a well-established list of English
names for North American dragonflies and damselflies,
published by the Dragonfly Society of the Americas.
The committee was started by Dennis Paulson and
Sidney Dunkle, both professionals and collectors with
years of experience, and the list already seems to be
gaining wide acceptance.  You can access it on the web
at     http://www.ups.edu/biology/museum/NAdragons.html

Kenn Kaufman
kennk at ix.netcom.com
Tucson, Arizona