Anosia plexippus

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 12 22:58:01 EDT 2001

*Anosia* is a perfectly valid name that some expert used for the Monarch
some years ago. The name *Danaus* is an earlier name, in fact the earliest
name applied to the Monarch since Linnean names started in 1758. Because it
is the oldest name it takes precedence and must be used. *Anosia* is
relegated to the synonymy as far as the Monarch is concerned. The type
species of *Danaus* is *plexippus*. The type species of *Anosia* is
gilippus*. If you think the Queen belongs to a different subgenus or even
genus from the Monarch, you are quite at liberty to use *Anosia* for the
Queen. Most workers today put the Monarch and Queen in the same genus,
hence the name *Danaus* as we see it in the current checklists and guidebooks.
..............Chris Durden