black & yellow caterpillar ID

Randy Emmitt birdcr at concentric.net
Fri Jun 15 16:05:26 EDT 2001

Folks,

Today I found on the ground in my yard a  black & yellow caterpillar. What
struck me was when I approached it the speed that it moved, I`d say twice
as fast as any caterpillar I`ve ever seen. With the black and yellow
banding it was confusing to watch it move so fast, nice defensive system
I`d say. The speed of  movement almost made me think it wasn`t a caterpillar.

Here`s what it looked like: about 1 1/8 inches long and 1/4 inch wide
(seemed wider in width than in height. The head was black then it was
yellow banded (no hairs) every other section. The black segments also had
black hairs about 1/8 inch long.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy L Emmitt
Nature Photographer focusing on butterflies, dragonflies and wildflowers.
http://www.rlephoto.com