Mississippi Rain and Pinto Beans - 6/10

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Sat Jun 16 05:22:29 EDT 2001

Thanks for the input Ron.  I do tend to use a lumped nomenclature, thanks to
Scott and others who have unknowingly ensured that few people gain any real
expertise on local or newly described species and/or sub-species.  I will
usually do my best to determine sub-specific identity, but I won't always
include them in my field reports.  Isn't that a shame?

Let me reply to your questions:

> Many of the troilus you found should have been the normal form of the
> nominate subspecies -ilioneus?

Yes, I'm fairly certain that the troilus that I saw (I chose to keep only a
singleton) are similar to the ilioneus I've caught in Florida.  Large and
showy, lot's of green scaling on the hindwing above.

> > the sides of the road and through the underbrush were many
> individuals of
> > Neonympha areolata (Orange-ovaled Satyr).
>
> Were any of these N. helicta?  The Helicta Satyr is most
> numerous in mid to
> northern Mississippi. I looked at my Mississippi specimens
> here and see
> none from Harrison County.

I don't know Helicta.  I've caught Neonympha in Florida in wet marshes.
These in Mississippi were well in the forest, similar to those that I've
caught in Texas.  Can you point me to a reference?  Can a description be
found in TILS?

Thanks again,

Mark Walker.