Actually about butterflies

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Jun 16 15:32:58 EDT 2001

From: <gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:38:47 -0400
To: Leps List <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Subject: Butterflies

Anne, as usual restores us to a higher plan eand reminds us that
butterflies can be fun (if only there were some).

We think of Ireland as green and wet. NJ is green and wet too and
butterflies are few and far between.  Even the sight of a Cabbage White
brings some enthusiasm.

What I found puzzling last weekend is that the Albany (NY) Pine Bush was
"loaded" with butterflies, while five miles away on my in-laws farm
there were very few in evidence even though there were lots more nectar
sources.

Red Admirals are actually increasing in numbers, both as fly-bys and
local breeders; lots are laying on our local nettles.

Today (weekend) looks pretty gloomy.  MIKE GOCHFELD