Unusual Butterfly Behavior

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Sun Jun 24 19:48:45 EDT 2001

Dear Ron,

I KNEW after I sent that post that SOMEONE would pose the question "was
it dead?!"  I should know by now that abbreviated posts on this listserv
are subject to all sorts of  dubious speculation...

No...the Julia wasn't dead and flew off after the '"vacuum cleaning."  I
have, on occasion, observed some of the butterflies feeding off the dead
remains of their departed tent-mates, much to the horror of uninitiated
visitors...  I just explain there is a bit of "Hannibal Lector" in the
butterflies' true nature.  (A little levity helps alleviate the initial
shock...)

The actual "grooming" took several minutes before both butterflies flew
off to pursue other interests...

No doubt the unnatural conditions of confinement promotes all sorts of
perverse behavior in the unavoidable social encounters of so many diverse
species (!)

Mary Beth Prondzinski