the doldrums

Hank & Priscilla Brodkin hankb at theriver.com
Mon Jun 25 14:00:21 EDT 2001

"Grkovich, Alex" wrote:

> What do you do in September, or do the "counts" mysteriously end on August
> 31st? Personally, I'm sick of hearing about 2,500 European Skippers, 700
> Little Wood Satyrs, 221 Juvenals Duskywings, etc. How do you have so much
> time to count? What about the taxonomy? Or is this something that has simply
> dropped along the wayside and disappeared on the road to the obliteration of
> the study of Lepidoptera? Are we supposed to believe you can do all this
> without any voucher specimens?
> .

Alex -

Here's how it works.  You do what you can.  The more people you have
helping you in your circle - the better.  As I stated - you can count
any time you feel it to be "advantageous".  In Mexico they count in
September.
You need voucher specimens? Take voucher specimens!
The idea is to do the count the same time every year - which may or may
not show some long term population trends.
People have been doing this for about 30 years - long before NABA  - and
have been enjoying it.
If you don't like the idea - don't participate.  No one is forcing you!
--
	             Hank & Priscilla Brodkin
	          Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
                   Send Mailto:hankb at theriver.com
             SouthEast Arizona Butterfly Association
          http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/home.html
         "Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
    by Bob Stewart, Priscilla and Hank Brodkin - due September 2001
         http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabasa/book.html