Satyrium edwardsii update

Randy Emmitt birdcr at concentric.net
Mon Jun 25 20:21:35 EDT 2001

Ron,

I checked out your photos of S. e. meridionale and they do not look
anything close to the edwardii we have in the NC sandhills, especially the
male. Does this sub species appear as brown as my monitor shows it? I just
checked my Moore County, NC photos from 1999 and they are gray,  not brown
at all. My photos are at
http://www.rlephoto.com/butterflies/hairstreak_edwards01.htm the female is
shown at the top of the page and the male below the female.

I know of no recent records of edwardii in NC other than Moore and Scotland
( June 2000) counties. Of course I don`t see much butterfly recording
coverage in Cumberland or Hoke counties either.

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC