Aberrant Pterourus glaucus

DR. JAMES ADAMS JADAMS at em.daltonstate.edu
Wed Mar 7 11:04:04 EST 2001

Ron wrote:

The area of the US where North Carolina,
> South Carolina and Georgia meet has to be the location for the most
> aberrant population of Pterourus glaucus. This is especially true in
> the spring brood - March and April. All yellow or all black females
> are the exception - every form in-between is the rule. Even the males
> tend to aberrations.

The area extends over to my neck of the woods.  I've been meaning
to add a picture of some of the females to the Tiger Swallowtail
website.  YOu'll notice an aberrant male is already pictured there.

> This species can be pretty common in this area, so anyone wanting to
> photograph, collect or just observe these is guaranteed results.

I agree.  Just about anywhere will work.  One of the commonest
female, "non-normal" forms is almost all black with a yellow spot
midway along the costa of the forewing.

	James

Dr. James K. Adams
Dept. of Natural Science and Math
Dalton State College
213 N. College Drive
Dalton, GA  30720
Phone: (706)272-4427; fax: (706)272-2533
U of Michigan's President James Angell's
  Secret of Success: "Grow antennae, not horns"