Classifieds and Scandal

monarchsforever monarchsforever at msn.com
Mon Mar 19 22:04:09 EST 2001

Many many people around the world have chosen to raise insects for both the
live and dead insect trade as an alternative to cattle and timber
production. Go to Costa Rica and look at what Juris Brinkerhoff has done, go
to the villages and compensienos  ask the people what they would be doing if
the market for pupa was gone. TIMBER, CATTLE, MINING. The trade in insects
for collectors is small stuff compared to the silk producers of Asia. Some
200 billion pupa were harvested for the worlds thirst for soft undies and
slippery sheets. Most of the those pupa found they way directly or
indirectly into the diets of the families who raised them. A diet almost
always low (to low) in protein.

 I'm not going to slide down the slippery slope of  collecting or not
collecting by individuals, this list has fallen down in that mud to many
times, but the issues are complex to the extreme. Some person was paid to
collect that Rhino beetle, some family raised those Idea idea that are
flying in the butterfly houses near all of us. If they weren't paid, think
of the alternative, that's the reality. David Bohlken