Pinyon Flats, Riverside Co., CA - 3/16

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Wed Mar 21 05:13:21 EST 2001

My children and I ventured out into the hills above the Colorado desert last
Friday for an afternoon field trip.  There is still much snow on the
surrounding mountain tops (including Palomar, which isn't very high
afterall).  We found this portion of the blend zone to be showing mostly
signs of enduring winter, even though there were a number of wildflowers in
bloom.  We chose a particularly overgrown canyon and headed downhill for a
couple of hours to see what we might find patrolling.  We were quickly
inundated with male Anthocharis sara - about one every two minutes or so.
Two Erynnis species were present - very large white bordered E. funeralis,
and many very small brown bordered E. afranius - at least I think that's
what they are.  Anthocharis lanceolata (Gray Marble) was also patrolling.
We were very pleased to find freshly emerged Euphydryas chalcedona hennei
perching and searching in vain for something substantial to nectar on.
Other than the migrating Vanessa cardui, which would occasionally tear past
us cutting orthogonally across the canyon, these were the biggest leps on
the wing that day.  We also enjoyed Glaucopsyche lygdamus (Silvery Blue),
Plebejus acmon (Acmon Blue), Pyrgus albescens (White Checkered Skipper), and
a surprise appearance of the Dainty Sulphur (Nathalis iole).  We also found
a very large abandoned 30 ft. motor home.  I'll have to check the range maps
to see if that isn't a county record.

Mark Walker
still in Vegas.