Cold wet weather and butterflies

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Mar 23 05:09:42 EST 2001

Ron's observations of a body count on muddy roads after cold wet weather
I presume reflects road kills of sluggish individuals. In researching
factors influencing butterfly morbidity and mortality some years ago, I
found a dearth of information on direct effects of weather.

Ironically, when I tried to publish some detailed data on butterfly
counts before and after cold spells in Florida, the editor dismissed
such observations as "anecdotal".

We have also had experiences in NJ where a certain species goes
unrecorded all morning and then appears in numbers fairly suddenly (and
obviously freshly) on a sunny afternoon, suggesting that some
previous factor (maybe a single weather condition), synchronized
something (perhaps egg-laying, perhaps pupation, perhaps development,
maybe eclosion).

I presume we could learn a lot from the experimentalists among us who
raise various species.

Mike Gochfeld