Fw: Divided we fall (subtitle: We have fallen and we can't get up.)

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Mar 23 02:48:22 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Gatrelle" <gatrelle at tils-ttr.org>
To: "Leps-l" <Leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 2:27 AM
Subject: Divided we fall (subtitle: We have fallen and we can't get up.)

 Mike Gochfeld wrote
 "The depiction of defensive action against the "Wise Use Movement"
 sounds like a junior league version of the tactics used to attack and
 discredit or divide and conquer us environmentalists."
 _____________________
 From Ron
 Mike's statment is true, however....
 My observation is this. We are already conquered as we have done a fine
job
 of dividing ourselves. No one needs do it to us. I can think of several
 examples of this. I will mention just one. The bitter argument between
 watchers and collectors is: "The sound of inevitability. The sound of our
 death." How does the saying go about how we have found the enemy and it is
 us.

 A very large number of fine people who love butterflies & moths, and care
deeply about habitat preservation and the environment, have been tried in
absentia, convicted as anti-conservationists, branded as environmental
traitors, and accordingly ostracized simply because they collect
Lepidoptera.  Yes, this degree of hostility may only be held by a few in
the Watch Only camp but even a little cloud will cast a very big shadow.
We only kid ourselves if we think there are no (or few) such shadows among
we environmentalists. I am not concerned at all with the slithery _actions_
of this Wise Use movement (which I am just now learning a lot about).  I am
concerned with the _actions_ (wars) between WE.

 Passionate disagreement and heated honest debate are healthy and can yield
constructive results. Witch hunts are quite another matter.
RG