Another Toxic Trap

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sat Mar 24 08:01:10 EST 2001

Years ago Harry Pavulaan explained to me how the explosive spread of
Garlic Mustard may have contributed to the decline of West Virginia
White (Pieris virginiensis), simply by outnumbering the normal hosts.
Females would lay on Garlic Mustard but the caterpillars perished.

I just saw an article by Jennifer Dacey (student at University of Rhode
Island) suggesting that a similar toxic trap awaits Monarchs.  Black
Swallowwort (Cynanchum nigrum) is an exotic member of the Asclepiadaceae
on which female Monarchs willingly lay eggs.  It co-occurs with other
milkweeds in New England (it is spreading, but I presume it's nowhere
near as invasive as Garlic Mustard which is rapidly replacing ALL
groundcover species in many central NJ forests).

Eggs laid on Black Swallowwort hatch, but the first instars die. The
only reference I have so far is NATURAL NEW ENGLAND #5:32-33, Jan-Feb
2001.

On a more optimistic note, the impact of exotic plants has clearly been
recognized by many agencies in the past five years.  Ironically, efforts
to ban the sale of plants that are deemed noxious pests, are not always
successful.

Mike Gochfeld