Crackers

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Sun Mar 25 09:09:10 EST 2001

Hi, Mary Beth!

In regard to your question about "Cracker" butterflies:  the Genus
"Hamadryus," examplified by the Costa Rican species Hamadrys amphenone,
can indeed make a clicking sound with its wings.  What the exact purpose
of this mechanism is, I can't say for sure...I had a difficult enough
time locating a reference to it on the internet.

Hope this helps!

M.B. Prondzinski
Evanston, IL
USA