Crackers

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Mar 25 19:16:13 EST 2001

What about the interpretation of  the thickened crossvein at cell end in
some males that may act as a castanet? I cannot add to this because
although I have seen and caught hundreds of crackers I have never been
there when one has cracked. Maybe nobody has studied this yet, let alone
film-recorded it in progress? We have all heard the tale that they crack.
How many have actually observed this for themselves and which species?
............Chris Durden