Sightings in WA

D. L. Robinson kalos5 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 26 18:04:09 EST 2001

Thought I'd share sightings from our recent
Washington Butterfly Association field trip,
led by Jonathan Pelham.  These were the first
non-overwintering butterflies of Spring for many of us.

Here's what we saw 3/24 at the Schnebly Coulee
Canyon near the Gingko Petrified Wood Forest.  It
is near Ellensburg in Kittitas County, Washington State,
46º N, 120ºW. Temp was low sixties, some clouds,
very little wind for that area. Lots of eriogonum, sage
and rabbitbrush.

Callophrys sheridani (Sheridan Hairstreak), abundant
Pieris/Pontia beckerii (Becker's White), (1)
Anthocaris sara (Sara Orangetip), (1)

Also a baby scorpion, neat beetle, tons of great
rocks and petrified wood.  And a car at the bottom
of the canyon that generated much speculation and
probably some strange habitat.

The Sheridans looked like bits of emerald, sparkling in a
mostly barren, dried out habitat.  They tended to just
bask laterally with their wings closed.  Not much energy
in the cool weather.

Happy butterflying,

Martha W. Robinson
Kent, WA