Digital slide scanner?

Jeff Crolla/Martha Hancock jeff at primus.ca
Tue Mar 27 19:17:53 EST 2001

Ron, what you need is a film scanner. Although the best ones are in the
$1000 price range there are a few very good models for about half that. Acer
makes one which is very favourably (and objectively) reviewed here
http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Review.htm (I recently purchased an Acer
flatbed scanner and am very happy with the quality - high for its price
range). I think Minolta also has a film scanner (Dual Scan II ?) in the same
price range that is also very well reviewed, and maybe Epson. Some flatbed
scanners come with a "transparency adapter" (including the one I got) for
35mm slides and negatives, but they generally produce very poor results.
They're a fun "extra" if all you really need is a flatbed for prints etc.
(like me) but for serious slide/film work you need a real film scanner
(better dynamic range and resolution among other things, which you need to
get good results from slides). There's a lot of very good basic info on
scanners/scanning at  http://www.scantips.com/ and somewhere on the site is
a long page of good links. I would suggest also checking the scanner
newsgroups ( alt.comp.periphs.scanner & comp.periphs.scanners) for opinions
and www.deja.com for past postings on particular models. (I recently went
through all this myself which is why I have this stuff at my fingertips!)

Hope this helps
Jeff