Digital slide scanner?

Chuck Vaughn aa6g at aa6g.org
Wed Mar 28 08:58:28 EST 2001

I have extensive experience with scannering slides as I've used
them for astrophotography for 6 years which is more demanding than
most general photography uses. I would suggest that you look on
Ebay for a used Polaroid SprintScan 35ES. This was their top of
the line scanner 5 years ago and is still much better than the
slide scanners in the $500 range today and can be had for around
$350. If you can spend more a SprintScan 35 Plus can be had for
under $1000. Both these require a SCSI interface.

A couple notes of caution about slide scanners..... If you're
intent is to shoot film for scanning, then uses color negative
film. The dynamic range of most slide scanners is better suited
to color negative film. If you're going to shoot slides, do not
under expose them or they'll be too dense for almost all slide
scanners. I found found those beautiful super saturated
Kodachrome slides to be unscannable with my SprintScan 35ES
yet it did a great job restoring old faded slides that appeared
beyond hope.

For those where money is no object, the soon-to-be-available
SprintScan 120 (35mm & medium format) has specs approaching
a drum scanner for a street price of about $3000.

Chuck Vaughn <aa6g at aa6g.org>