Taxonomy as working hypothesis

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 28 05:47:33 EST 2001

When I was in training and the cladists and Mayrists were at war, Donn
Rosen (AMNHl fish cladist) emphasized that all phylogenetic trees should
be considered "hypotheses" to be tested continually in the light of new
data (new characters).

To him, taxonomy was merely something that we temporarily imposed on the
current understanding of relationships, and wasn't to be taken very
seriously.

Unfortunately, I found the cladistic work (at the time at least) to be
circular, since people had a priori notions of what constituted the taxa
which they then studied with regard to the various "...morphies", which
allowed them to re-sort the trees, each time new characters were added.

Also, I was never able to accept the notion that each character that we
could divine carried equivalent weight (information).

Mike Gochfeld