digital slide scanner

Carol Lemmon carol.lemmon at po.state.ct.us
Wed Mar 28 09:02:16 EST 2001

Greetings all:

I just recently acquired a Pacific Image 1800u digital slide/negative
scanner for $189(!).  I thought  for the price it would be a toy, but
decided to try it out.  It probably isn't as good as the $1000+ models, but
compared to the HP Photosmart S20 ($500) I use at work, the results were
quite comparable.  The Pacific Image model has a maximum scan resolution of
1800 dpi, but comparing full page (8.5x11) prints from 1800dpi, 2100dpi, and
2400dpi scans from the HP model, the Pacific Image results were very close
to the quality of the 2100dpi HP prints.  (For those interested, the printer
used was a HP 970Cxi).  Comparing prints is probably not the best way to
compare scanners, but it's a difference that I think can be obvious.  I also
think the software that comes with the PI scanner is more user friendly.

I picked up my scanner at a regional computer chain store called CompUSA,
but B+H Photo and Video did have it listed in their catalog last year for
$199 (check the website?).

I hope this information is of some help.

Jeff Fengler
CT Agricultural Experiment Station