batesii batesii

Niklas Wahlberg Niklas.Wahlberg at zoologi.su.se
Wed May 2 09:08:55 EDT 2001

Dear all,
       I have been working for the past year or so on the molecular
phylogenetics of the genus Phyciodes. As many of you in North America know,
this is a pretty messy group of species taxonomically. Well, it will come
as no surprise that they are very messy genetically as well! My project is
nearing its end and I hope to have it published soon. However, one thing
has become painfully apparent: Phyciodes batesii (Tawny Crescent) seems to
be a composite of different species. I do not have representatives of the
nominate subspecies (Phyciodes batesii batesii) in my molecular phylogeny,
which makes the patterns I am observing _very_ difficult to interpret. I
would therefore be exceedingly happy if somebody could collect a few
specimens of batesii batesii this summer from the northeastern parts of
North America. Please contact me directly for details of how to collect,
preserve and send specimens.
       Thanks very much in advance!

Cheers,
Niklas