batesii batesii

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed May 2 14:17:17 EDT 2001

I suppose you know that Phyciodes batesii batesii is rather a mystery in
the northeast. Although the type locality has been attributed to New
Jersey and although there are some recorded from the Philadelphia area
in the mid-20th century, there are no recent records.  There was one
well known site in central New York where, as far as I have heard, there
are no recent records. A lot of people would like to know where
P.b.batesii can be found.   M Gochfeld

Niklas Wahlberg wrote:

> Dear all,
>        I have been working for the past year or so on the molecular
> phylogenetics of the genus Phyciodes. As many of you in North America know,
> this is a pretty messy group of species taxonomically. Well, it will come
> as no surprise that they are very messy genetically as well! My project is
> nearing its end and I hope to have it published soon. However, one thing
> has become painfully apparent: Phyciodes batesii (Tawny Crescent) seems to
> be a composite of different species. I do not have representatives of the
> nominate subspecies (Phyciodes batesii batesii) in my molecular phylogeny,
> which makes the patterns I am observing _very_ difficult to interpret. I
> would therefore be exceedingly happy if somebody could collect a few
> specimens of batesii batesii this summer from the northeastern parts of
> North America. Please contact me directly for details of how to collect,
> preserve and send specimens.
>        Thanks very much in advance!
>
> Cheers,
> Niklas
>
> Niklas Wahlberg
> Department of Zoology
> Stockholm University
> S-106 91 Stockholm
> SWEDEN
>
> Phone: +46 8 164047
> Fax:   +46 8 167715
>
> http://www.zoologi.su.se/research/ihp/

Michael Gochfeld, MD, PhD
Professor of Environmental and Community Medicine
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and
Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
170 Frelinghuysen Road
Piscataway, NJ 08854  USA
732-445-0123 X627  fax 732-445-0130