Red Admirals

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Mon May 14 15:15:14 EDT 2001

Hi all...

This Red Admiral infestation appears to be a Midwestern phenomenon!  As I
mentioned earlier, I encountered a large number of Red Admirals walking
into downtown Evanston, Illinois last Tuesday, and the number of
individuals keeps on increasing:  from the north shore right on down to
the south-side of Chicago.  Just this morning, I was attacked by seven
(7) individuals on my way to my car at 9:00 a.m.!   V. virginensis and V.
cardui are also present, but not in the numbers that have been reported
from the West coast and East coast.  They are definitely in the minority
to V. atalanta.

Likewise, all the Vanesses I've seen are smaller than normal in size.
Commas and Question Marks are also present in bigger numbers than usually
seen in Spring.  I predict this will be a "good year" for butterflying in
the Chicago area...for whatever reason!

Mary Beth Prondzinski
Evanston, Illinois
USA

On Mon, 14 May 2001 08:54:26 -0500 "Jim Mason" <jmason at ink.org> writes:
> This spring we are seeing LOTS of Red Admirals in Kansas.  In
> particular,
> last Friday, May 11, thousands of them were apparent all over the
> Wichita
> area, along with Question Marks, Painted Ladies and American Ladies.
>  The
> individuals seem to be smaller than usual.  Also, on Wednesday,
> April 25, on
> a field trip to NW Kansas (Logan county) Red Admirals and Variegated
> Fritillaries were very common in the upper Smoky Hill river valley
> and
> adjacent shortgrass prairie.  Has anyone else noticed a
> super-abundance of
> Red Admirals this spring?
>
> Jim Mason, Naturalist
> jmason at ink.org