Red Admirals on track

Heath, Fred Fred.Heath at power-one.com
Tue May 15 13:09:20 EDT 2001

Paul of course made the quote sound a lot worse than it was. The sentence
actually reads: "Shipping Red Admirals, Giant Swallowtails, Gulf
Fritillaries and Zebra (Heliconians) is particularly inappropriate because
they are not naturally found over much of the United States".  It is not
clear to me why Red Admirals are included in this list because they are
widespread over the U.S (the government's Northern Prairie Wildlife Research
Center website shows them as spotty in the SE, although this may be simply
an anomaly of the data collection) and maybe shouldn't have been included
with the other species. However, Paul's leaving out of the other species
suggests that the Opler et al singled out the Red Admiral which obviously
wasn't the case.
----Regards, Fred.