releasing butterflies

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Wed May 16 01:05:58 EDT 2001

In the movie Contact the main character was about to make a trip into outer
space. The people in charge gave her a suicide pill to take in her gear in
case she needed it. She didn't want to take this along and asked why she
should. The people in charge said they could probably think of hundred
reasons why she should take this "option" along - then they said "But the
main reason is the things we can't think of." In life, as in the sci-fi
movies, it is the things we can't or don't think of that invariably end up
biting us in the rear.

This is why I am opposed to releasing "organisms" into foreign environs -
period. No, _ I_  don't see any harm in letting Red Admirals or Painted
Ladies reared in one part of the US loose in another part. So I can't give
any statistical or "scientific" reason not to. But what I don't see and
don't know makes me not like the idea.

                                        On another front.
I do know that Government is the biggest screwer upper and not business or
individuals (Kudzu and Chernobyl). The type locality of Speyeria aphrodite
cullasaja is just about wiped out in North Carolina because the Forest
Service, Fish & Wildlife, and NC DNR have destroyed the Viola in the main
breeding area via an introduced exotic grass they brought in to benefit the
wild Turkey population. They are sewing this grass everywhere! I recently
saw it in a rare serpentine barrens where this government introduced grass
is killing all the small native plants! Turkey Hunters Rule!

Mono management destroys biodiversity faster than anything. When the SC
Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge was established the main tree was Long
Leaf Pine. This was logged out and replaced by Slash (for the sake of, and
per the desire of, the lumber industry) a generation later this has not
worked and the plan is to reseed the Long Leaf. I learned of this from a
Refuge manager/ranger while doing research there for F&W a few years ago.
Loggers Rule!

The state of SC destroyed the largest (by far) breeding area for Megathymus
yuccae on Edisto Island several years ago when they enlarged Edisto State
Park's beach front camping area. Campers Rule!  And on and on.
RG