Red Admirals on track

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Tue May 15 23:55:40 EDT 2001

Ferocious fanciers of the furry fliers,

As we know from past debate, there are legitimate concerns about releasing
butterflies, concerns that are hard to objectively evaluate. Scientists and
others are right to worry about disease transmission being increased by
unconsidered releases. Whether or not this concern overcomes our natural
reluctance to let people do whatever they damn well please is certainly
debateable, but I am not interested in that debate here.

I am simply arguing that those who are troubled by releases are not a vast
bureaucratic conspiracy, hysterical with paranoia. In fact, they have
history on their side in their worries about invasions, diseases and such.
The history of stupid introductions, ravaging introduced diseases and
completely unforseen consequences is pretty spectacular in the biological
world.

Incidentally in my area (Yolo and Sacramento Counties, California), I am not
seeing any Red Admirals at present. The Painted Ladies have settled down to
oviposition around here, especially on Malva parviflora and a few backyard
composites. They no longer seem so compelled to speed North and West.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu