More Vanessas...

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Tue May 15 20:58:41 EDT 2001

Hi all....

Since the heavy infestation of V. atalanta, today's walk through Grant
Park on the Chicago Illinois lakeshore (as well as my own backyard),
yielded an increase in numbers of V. virginiensis.  Though Red Admirals
are still present in great abundance, the American Ladies are beginning
to rival them in numbers.  I've noticed that the blooming Lilacs, which
are at their peak, are a much preferred nectar choice for both.

Also saw one, lonely Mourning Cloak nectaring in the bevy of Vanessas...

Mary Beth Prondzinski
Evanston, Illinois
USA
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!