NB bogs, moths, butterflies

Thomas, Tony tthomas at nrcan.gc.ca
Wed May 16 12:15:22 EDT 2001

	In contrast to Bob Kriegal's report from Michigan bogs, I surveyed a
local bog on 13 May. Locally, is Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada; a bit
further northeast than Maine. Brown elfins were abundant and the few Bog
Elfins indicated that they were just emerging. Both species were nectaring
on flowers of leatherleaf. Also flying were, what I consider to be, 2
species of Celastrina. A small dark blue bog species and a somewhat larger,
paler, roadside species. The only other locally-emerged species was a small
bog geometrid - Epilis truncataria. The green, day-flying, bog geometrids
apparently had not yet emerged.
	Red Admirals and Painted Ladies (never captured any, so don't know
which species) were also present and have been relatively common here for
the past 2 weeks. The European cabbage white seems to be the only other
butterfly out at present, although all of my reared Eastern Pine Elfins have
emerged after being wintered outside.
	My 15-watt BL traps have been capturing thousands of moths/night on
a few carefully-chosen warm nights.

Tony

Dr. A.W. Thomas
Research Scientist
Canadian Forest Service - Atlantic Forestry Centre
Natural Resources Canada
PO Box 4000
1350 Regent Street
Fredericton, NB
E3B 5P7

 e-mail: tthomas at nrcan.gc.ca
'phone (506) 452-3523
FAX (506) 452-3525

Giant Silkmoth website:
http://www.atl.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/fbn/md/family_e.html

Illustrated Checklist of Fundy National Park Moths website:
http://www.atl.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/fbn/md/family-s_e.html