elephant hawk moth

Nick Greatorex-Davies ngd at ceh.ac.uk
Thu May 17 05:53:27 EDT 2001

Thomas Warner wrote:

>>> "Thomas Warner" <Boneman at tesco.net> 16/05/01 13:57:56 >>>
>Having found the caterpillar for this species in the garden last
year I was
>wondering when I might be seeing the adult on the wing and at what
>time of the day/night.
>Thanks.
>Tom(in the UK)

Any time now for (and especially in June) the Elephant Hawk Moth
(Dielephila elpenor). It is a night flyer feeding on nectar after dusk
and readily comes to light traps later in the night (from about
23.00hrs). I don't think I have ever found the adults during the day
but the species is widespread in the UK and common judging by the
numbers that come to light traps and the number of larvae that are
found by the general public each year.

Regards

Nick Greatorex-Davies
CEH Monks Wood, Huntingdon UK