Light-traps

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Thu May 17 09:45:34 EDT 2001

I have been designing and building light traps for over 20 years. Below is just a little something that I have learned.

There are several serious problems with circular or form flourescent tubes. The surface face of a formed tube only emits 50% of the light outwards or away from the bulb. The other 50% is return to the tubes other surface and is distorted in conflict.

A straight tube, vertically and center mounted, will emit 98% of the light from surface of the tube outward. There is no conflict nor is there any light/wave/band distorted.

A larger vane surface provides more area for flying insects, including moths, to strike as they seek the light, interupting flight, and causing them to fall unto the funnel and into the trap.

It is a rather simple design.

I use light traps about once a week. Not only to I design and build them, I use them as well. In other words, they are field tested. I set two out last night in a large forested area to begin a field test of the new Quantum bulbs. In one trap I used the new 15 watt Quantum Black Light bulb, that according to the manufacture, Sylvania, Ltd. of the UK, is 40% more effective. The other trap had a regular 15 watt Slyvania Black Light bulb. The traps were about a 1/2 mile apart. The trap with the Quantum tube had twice as many insects as the trap with the regular tube. Please remember, this is the first time I have used the new bulbs.

I will set out six traps tonight in the Daniel Boone National Forest near Red River Gorge, Kentucky. Three will have the Quantum bulbs, the other three with regular tubes. I will advise the results next week.

I currently have no evidence that the Quantum bulbs are any more effective than the standard bulbs. I have ask on this list if anyone has attempted to use the Quantum bulbs. I received no responses.

I will continue to test the Quantum tube this year and make an evaluation this winter.

The Quantum tube was developed by Slyvania for the pest control industry. The Quantum tube is used a Mantid unit with stickey pads in commercial kitchen, hospitals and other areas where flying insects are a problem.

Comments?

Leroy C. Koehn
202 Redding Road
Georgetown, KY