Pale Swallowtail

Sunsol SUNSOL at prodigy.net
Tue May 22 08:36:32 EDT 2001

Hey Everybody,

I collected eggs on my hollyleaf cherry last year, thinking that they were
pale swallowtails, but people told me pales couldn't be found in the
flatlands of Berkeley. Well, one finally emerged, and it sure looks like a
pale to me. My conclusion is that the host plant is more reliable than range
in determining species. I still want to raise Western Tigers, which do
commonly occur in the area.

I also saw a California Sister in my oak tree a couple of days ago. I sure
would like to get my hands on some of those eggs. But I bet any caterpillars
I find will be oak worms.

And then, hanging out in my lawn yesterday was a Mylitta Crescent. I don't
see those very  often.

Sally