Killing moths

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri May 25 23:38:48 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jane Dillonaire" <jdillonaire at rcn.com>
To: <leps-l at lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2001 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: Killing moths

> Freezer is faster and more humane, don't you think?

To leps-l (not Jane personally)
This is just an observation and personal musing, so don't read too much
into it. It is always interesting to _me_ to see how much many of us humans
are interested in that which is humane to even bugs - but we are so
non-activist about the inhumanity to our own kind (i.e. the excruciating
torturous death of a human person via abortion by ones own parent - consult
the documentary film "Silent Scream").

I once watched a  Praying Mantis in our back yard in St Louis catch a honey
bee - hold it at "arms" length and proceed to eat it alive - head first.
There was no "concern" there about being humane. Nor with the spider and
the butterfly.  The Buffalo has no concern if it is eating the last clump
of an "endangered" grass.  The natural world doesn't give a rats behind
about pain and devastation - it just cares about its next meal and mating
season. And us? Well we all have to decide for ourselves.  Of course, me, I
personally KNOW that we will all have to answer to a divine power once out
tiny time here is over. No body thinks much about that any more either.
Rev. Ron