Dusky Blue Hairstreak?

Anne Kilmer viceroy at GATE.NET
Thu Nov 1 14:34:01 EST 2001

Michael-Ann wrote:

> Hi Bill and thank you for the info,
>
> > I've had the same problem photographing blues, they seldom show their upper
> > wing surface when resting.
>
> ... Not to mention how quickly they flit about as you try to get a
> picture... I'm sure the neighbors thought I was a nut running back and forth
> in the yard and squatting periodically to try to get a picture,  and I have
> been doing that a lot lately with my increasing interest in identifying what
> creatures big and small find their way into my yard.  It is quite amazing
> how one small urban yard can be an integral part of the whole life cycle of
> so many things.
>
> Mikie

I have some lovely shots of one Cassius Blue; the spider web his feet
are entangled in scarcely shows. Spiders are your friend. Although once
I caught an Atala (Eumaeus atala) as it fell poisoned but not yet dead
from a web. My best efforts at CPR were sadly ineffective, and the
spider didn't want it back.
People who happen to be in the vicinity of the Mounts Botanical Garden
in West Palm Beach this weekend will wish to take in the fall plant
sale, where you may buy the larval host plants of your dreams, meet
others of a leppish persuasion, fatten your spirit and feed your habit.
I myself plan to be there, although I am somewhat cowed, having been
told that my appearance is unprofessional ... a student evaluation. I
don't know which of my professions I was being "un", but I will admit
that sitting at a spinning wheel and making yarn while lecturing a class
of butterfly gardeners was an unusual approach. I thought it might be
different enough to get their attention ... the other guys liked it
fine, so I will probably continue it.
Spiders like butterfly gardens quite a bit ...
Anne Kilmer
South Florida