ID of Mikie skipper

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Nov 1 21:23:22 EST 2001

Mikie -- The other day you posted here to Leps-l on something and I forget
just what.  Anyway, I clicked on your link and then decided to look around
at some other stuff.  Being a skipper person I went to the shots of your
skippers.  I clicked on the Clouded skipper and noted that it is a
Panoquina species (probably ocala).  I often delete stuff much to soon and
don't see one of your posts in my skimpy mail file - so I don't have the
URL.   I just remember I intended to get with you  on this and forgot, till
now.

Perhaps you can pass the URL along to all of us and get some other
opinions.  Here is what I remember of the photo.   First, it is a classic
Panoquina pose.  The forewings together and the hindwings out flat.  Next
the forewings have the Panoquina spot pattern and color, and the over all
color is typical of that genus.  The forewings, even though almost closed,
looked to be long and pointed at the apex.  Why not a L. accius (Clouded).
If this was an accius it would have a line of tiny apical spots, which I am
sure I remember that this individual was lacking.  It would be a darker
color overall esp. the thorax. That's about all I remember.   Now watch my
memory be all screwed up on this.   Ron