Importing farm-raised butterflies?

Matthew Smith MatSmith1 at compuserve.com
Tue Nov 6 17:47:05 EST 2001

Message text written by INTERNET:soupy171 at hotmail.com
>I've seen beautiful displays of preserved butterflies for sale and the
seller says they were all imported from South American butterfly farms
so that they were allowed to live their full natural lives before
being packaged and exported.<

I think the seller may be stretching the truth slightly.  Butterflies that
have lived out their natural lives are usually tatty and worn and are of
very little use for making wall displays.  In addition, perfect (A1)
quality butterflies command the higest prices.  Most butterfly farms kill
the insects as soon as their wings have hardened so that the stock does not
damage itself.  I seem to recall a nice colour booklet published by the PNG
butterfly export office in Papua that showed this happening.

Regards

Matt