Ochlodes venatus and "faunus"

warrena at bcc.orst.edu warrena at bcc.orst.edu
Thu Nov 15 04:36:10 EST 2001

Regarding Ochlodes venatus and "faunus":

The most recent review of the genus Ochlodes is also
the only one to illustrate all species from all
continents:

Hideyuki Chiba & Hiroshi Tsukiyama.  1996.
"A review of the genus Ochlodes Scudder, 1872, with
special reference to the Eurasian species (Lepidoptera:
Hesperiidae)."  Butterflies.  No. 14:3-16 [This is the
color journal published by The Butterfly Society of
Japan].

This paper gives a synonymic list for the genus.  The
parts of interest to this discussion are as follows:

Ochlodes venata (Bremer & Gray, 1853)Hesperia
  a. ssp. venata (Bremer & Gray, 1853)
     = Pamphila selas Mabille, 1878
     = Pamphila herculea Butler, 1881
     = Ochlodes tochrana Heyne, 1895
     = Augiades sylvanus form amurensis Mabille, 1906
     = Augiades chosensis Matsumura, 1929
  b. ssp. majuscula (Elwes & Edwards, 1897)

Ochlodes hyrcana (Cristolph, 1893) Hesperia
  a. ssp. faunus (Turati, 1905)Augiades
       Papilio sylvanus Esper, 1775 (Homonym)
     = Papilio melicerta Borkhausen, 1788
     = Ochlodes alexandra Hemming, 1934
     = Ochlodes esperiverity Hemming, 1934
  b. ssp. hyrcana (Cristolph, 1893) Hesperia

There is a long discussion supporting these synonymies,
but it is in Japanese and I can't summarize it for
you.  The description of a new species, Ochlodes
hasegawai, however, is in English.

There are a lot of other great papers that come out in
this journal so check it out whenever you get a
chance.

Andy Warren

Quoting "Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX"
<Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca>:

> Hello Zdravko. Thank you for a most informative
> posting. I do not have my
> copy of the Code handy but about your comments
> on the Ochlodes issue I
> wonder if sylvanus is a primary or secondary
> homonym. If it is a primary
> homonym then my recollection is that it would be
> permanently invalid under
> the rules and could not be used in the future in
> a different genus as is
> allowed for secondary homonyms. Also I agree
> that Oleg Kosterin does indeed
> have an excellent website with much useful
> information in addition to the
> photographs. People who are interested in
> English translations of a number
> of original descriptions will find them at that
> website

http://genome6.cpmc.columbia.edu/~kosterin/korgor/index.
htm