Unknown Lepidoptera---try your hand with these

O.G. Marti, Jr. omarti at tifton.cpes.peachnet.edu
Tue Nov 20 09:19:59 EST 2001

http://sacs.cpes.peachnet.edu/cpmru/Unknown-Leps.html

Hello.  I have photos of 4 unknown Lepidoptera (2 Noctuidae and 2
Pyralidae), all found in south Georgia in August-September, 2001, at the
above site.  I have been unable to identify these and would appreciate any
help. Two of them emerged with abnormal wings.  Specimen 5-01 has a
distinctive bar of white scales connecting the bases of the antennae.
Despite its large size (5cm wingspan), I have not been able to identify it.  I
collected an identical specimen in Guadeloupe in 1996, so it may be a
tropical species not normally found in south Georgia. A photo of this
species seems not to be present in the Catalogue of the Lepidoptera of the
French Antilles web site.
    Specimen 376-01 has a distinctive reniform spot.  Although it is badly
deformed, I would have thought the markings were distinctive enough for an
identification, but I have had no success with it.
    The 2 pyralid specimens are rather nondescript.  All 4 pictures look
much better in an image viewer than in Netscape.  I apologize for the poor
quality.

Sincerely,
Dick Marti

Orville G. Marti, Jr., Microbiologist