species concepts (this is long!)

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Sat Nov 24 14:34:23 EST 2001

In regard to comments by Jeff Oliver

At 11:58 AM 11/24/01 -0700, you wrote:

>What are these other criteria?

I don't have any listing of all other possible criteria. One that comes to
mind is the generation of novel predictions.

>Witchcraft doesn't really test anything, now does it?

Witchcraft can and has generate testable hypotheses.

>Ha!  Reading some of Sober's work would make one believe the opposite:
>philosophers are folks reining in scientists, reminding scientists what
>science is about (objectivity?).

There appear to be two approaches to philosophy in science - one is to use
philosophy to determine how scientist should work to be doing 'science',
the other is to use philosophy to describe or characterize what scientist
do under the label of 'science'.

John Grehan