species concepts (this is long!)

warrena at bcc.orst.edu warrena at bcc.orst.edu
Sun Nov 25 15:41:47 EST 2001

Hello,

Thanks John for the interesting commentary!  It is nice
to consider this from a totally different perspective.
Just a few points to follow up on these.  In general,
my comments were from the point of view of a working
taxonomist (I work on skippers, study their DNA, and
describe new taxa from time to time).  From the point
of view of someone who is not so deeply interested in
taxonomic issues, species concepts would seem a lot
less relevant:

> >There is certainly no concensus among
> systematists as
> >to what species concept should be used.
>
> In which case it would seem that definitions of
> species do not matter.

If species definitions did not matter, there would not
be an enormous body of literature dealing with the
issue (I could cite over 100 publications here).  If
they did not matter, people would have no reason to
argue over them. In fact the use of various species
concepts have huge implications in conservation (see
Barrowclough et al. 1996)

> >All workers that use
> >subspecies have different working definitions
> of
> >subspecies,
>
> True of species as well.

Well, this may be close to the truth in practice, but
cannot be taken literally (read Wheeler & Meier,
2000!).

> >All of this means that in the
> >business of taxonomy, subspecies are entirely
> >subjective.
>
> So definitions are the foundation of
> objectivity?

I don't know about that, but without definitions for
terms, I don't think they can be used very
objectively.  Without a definition for a species or
subspecies, those things simply become "whatever some
taxonomist says they are."

> >Workers
> >who propose subspecific names should strive to
> reach a
> >standard definition for a subspecies to remove
> some
> >subjectivity from their decisions.
>
> If this authoritarian dictation is to be imposed
> on the use of subspecies
> then proponents of species definition should be
> held to the same criterion.

They are working hard at it!  That is why they have
proposed species concepts.  I know of no
competing "subspecies concepts" in the literature.

> >The species problem is big enough!  Mayden
> (1997)
> >identified at least 22 species concepts in
> the
> >contemporary literature.
>
> I have not read this article, but it is likely
> that most if not all fall
> under the species as a class concept. I have
> illustrated this view below
> with a slight re-wording of the definitions
> provided.

All of the following modified definitions of species
concepts are VERY WRONG, way off!  These are complex
concepts, and require many printed pages to explain and
illustrate.  You should read the literature before
trying to summarize these!

> >The Hennigian Species Concept (by Meier and
> Willmann),
> >The essence of species is reproductive
> isolation of natural
> >populations or groups of natural populations.
> (I won't even pick on the
> >"natural" criterion - another can of worms).
>

> >The Phylogenetic Species Concept (sensu Mishler
> and
> >Theriot) by Mishler and Theriot,
> >The essence of species least inclusiveness.
>
> >  Evolutionary Species Concept (by Wiley and
> >Mayden),
> >The essence of a species is maintenance of
> identity
> >

> In terms of spatio-temporal independance these
> different definitions are
> really not all that different afterall.

Actually, yes they are.  Some of these concepts deal
well considering contemporary and fossil taxa
simultaneously (while some do not).  It is all
discussed in the literature.

> >A strong proponent of any one species
> >concept should be familiar with other
> competing
> >concepts as well, to understand the strengths
> and
> >weaknesses of them all so that their own
> beliefs can be
> >better justified.
>
> This seems to me a wishy washy kind of
> perspective.

Ok, then how are you are going to justify your opinion?

> >It seems appropriate
> >to me that workers should have a defined,
> specific
> >species concept that is applied in their
> research, and
> >that the concept be consistently applied.
>
> Since there is an abundance of competing species
> definitions that may all
> have validity perhaps species definitions are
> really a waste of time?

I guessd I answered this already by pointing out that
there is a huge body of literature devoted to the
topic.  Actually, I think the abundance of species
concepts shows how important they really are to working
taxonomists.  I encourage you to publish your views on
why species concepts are a waste of time!  They would
be frequently cited, at least!

> >This enables
> >workers to defend each and every taxonomic
> decision
> >they make on the grounds of their species
> concept.
>
> Why bother having to defend one's taxonomic
> decision. If there are
> competing views and all have validity, defense
> seems to become irrelevant.

Apply this to the real world and the legal system.
Think about it.  If you can't defend your taxonomic
decisions (= actions), you have no business making
those decisions in the first place.

> >"Evolutionary" and biogeographic
> >factors are not always known with certainty,
> and only
> >add more ad hoc hypotheses to the to the theory
> of a
> >subspecies; making the hypothesis of a
> subspecies less
> >testable.
>
> The imposition of ad hoc hypotheses in defence
> of a theoretical position is
> a time-honored tradition in science (I include
> biology, chemistry, and
> physics) and it can generate progress regardless
> of 'testability' (which is
> not the only criterion for science).

I would really love to see some citations to back up
these two statements.  You state them as facts, let's
see the proof [or inother words, please defend your
statements].  I would really like to see papers
supporting these views.

> >In the eyes of many scientific philosophers
> >(as explained in works by Popper and Farris
> among
> >others) the best scientific hypotheses are
> those that
> >are the most testable,
>
> This is just one philosophical view. Under this
> criterion witchcraft is
> science.

I would love to see the citation for this!!!

> >those with the fewest associated
> >ad hoc hypotheses (this is to say, the most
> >parsimonious exalanation is the best).
>
> Again, just a philosophical abstraction that may
> or may not be true. Again,
> also a good example of philosophers as the
> unpaid mercenaries of science.

I cannot claim this is, strictly speaking, true.
However, the weight of the liturature dealing with the
topic says that the most parsimonious explanation for a
problem is the best (from a scientific point of view).
While not all authors on the topic agree (certainly
anyone using maximim liklihood algorighms would not),
this disagreement seems unique.  The more ad hoc
principles that go into a hypothesis, the less testable
it becomes, and therefore, the less desirable it
becomes (as far as a scientific theory goes, even most
ML proponents agree with this in general).  The best
theories are the simplest and easiest to disprove.  I
recommend reading Farris, J. S. (1983), The logical
basis of phylogenetic analysis, along with the long
series of commentary papers that followed it.

> >give meaning to the above statement, a formal
> >definition of a subspecies, along with
> information on
> >what characters should be used in the
> taxonomic
> >analysis must be presented.
>
> Again, why bother. As in species one may make up
> or accept a definition and
> be none the wiser.

Without definitions, you can't define what you are
doing, and it is not repeatable.  Then it is not
science.

Andy