Fwd: Re: concept 4

warrena at bcc.orst.edu warrena at bcc.orst.edu
Tue Nov 27 14:17:17 EST 2001

Thanks Michael!

It is nice to see a concrete example cited!  Note,
however, that because of the wording of the definition
("assuming of course that they did or could interbreed
where populations come into contact"), it is only
applicable under the Biological Species Concept (which
is not surprising since the BSC was also coined in the
1950's).  While I am sure this subspecies definition is
still used today by working taxonomists, I have not
seen a paper objectively justifying why 75% should be
the magic number- that magic cutoff point (this seems
subjective to me); why not 70% or 80%?.

I admit my views on subspecies are just that, my views
(although they are justified well by the literature).
It is true and obvious that subspecies will not go away-
 check out Science Magazine where an issue or two ago
some ornithologists proposed "megasubspecies"
and "megasubgenera".  I wrote my posting to point out
that the subspecies category is the least well defined
and perhaps most widely disputed taxonomic category.
More so than species, any two authors talking about
subspecies are usually talking about totally different
things.  I just think subspecies are more defendable if
people who propose them can define them in objective
terms, that's all.

Andy Warren

----- End forwarded message -----